Sunday, September 22, 2013

Courtney's Declassified College Survival Guide


Did everyone watch this show? If not, look it up, it is so good and was on when I was actually in Middle School (Hillcrest Falcon holla!) so it was a Survival Guide for me. Well this show should have kept going because I never learned how to survive college other than the horror stories my teachers told me daily about how much harder it would be. Well seeing as I have now had five weeks of college experience, I'm practically an expert, right?
 Well here we go, here's Courtney's Declassified College Survival Guide

Tip #1:
Got a problem with an assignment? Talk to your professor! Seriously, they are not some crazy, heartless heathen's who will kick you out of their class forever because you don't understand or weren't able to finish. I had a misunderstanding about an assignment and the due date came and I wasn't prepared, I walked up to my professor (who I can only describe as Mr.Fletcher from this video...)



Anyways I told him that I didn't understand what I was supposed to do and he asked me to have it done by the next class... totally took away my fears of failing. This was a huge deal for me because I thought this was a sign that I was not cut out for college, and I was just going to flunk out... which leads me to 

Tip #2:
Take time to RELAX! I am in no way suggesting you procrastinate... ever, because that is seriously dangerous. If you had  stressful day, don't worry and find what helps you relax. For me YouTube is the best way to relax, I go to my favorites playlist and re-watch my favorite videos that make me laugh or finding new videos, I completely de-stress. Here are some of my very favorites


 


I also LOVE to read, everyday on my way to and from school and classes I listen to books, so far I've listened to the first three Harry Potter books, "Catching Fire", "Divergent" and I've read "Paper Towns". Books just take you to another place where there are no lectures and labs, just freedom to imagine a place different than the one you're currently in.

Tip #3: 
Try! If you feel really low, and don't know how to do something, do anything and everything you can, remember, this is ALL new. Even if it feels like everyone in your class is a freaking expert in it, you are there for the soul purpose of learning this for the first time. Along with this, ask people in your classes if you don't understand, I do this all the time, and the people around me probably get sick of it but if they can't help you, try for yourself. I had a crazy assignment in my programming class and I literally spent 2 hours in the institute building trying to do it, and guess what, I finally figured it out! Do not give up until you have no options left.

Tip #4: 
Do new things. I do this really simply, I walk a new way to class every week, I do not have a set way to get to every class because campus is HUGE I find new ways all of the time.

Well since I am still learning, I may come up with other tips later on, I hope whoever reads this (if anyone) learned something, maybe not but it felt good to say this :)

No comments: